ALIVE! Child Development Center
The Child Development Center is one of the programs of ALIVE!, providing preschool for Alexandria's working families with tuition fees based on family income.
- Founded in 1972, ALIVE! Child Development Center's mission is to provide high-quality, affordable early care and education to children in Alexandria's low-income working families. Together with our families, we strive to ensure that each child is well-prepared to begin kindergarten.
- We believe children learn best in a loving and nurturing environment, through a developmentally appropriate program that encompasses the social, emotional, cognitive, physical, language and creative growth of each child.
- Each child has the opportunity to experience success that helps build positive self-esteem while developing self-help skills and meeting individually- determined learning objectives.
- We are dedicated to providing positive learning experiences for our children through active exploration of their world while maintaining a safe, healthy and appropriate environment.
- Developmentally appropriate program focused on building a firm foundation in language and literacy, math and science, and social and emotional skills
- Additional emphasis placed on health, safety, and nutrition
- Ongoing monitoring and assessment of child's progress
- Children may choose from art, music, library, computers, science, writing, blocks, dramatic play, and sand and water table activities.
- "Al's Pals" puppet program reinforces children's social skills.
- Community members regularly read stories in each classroom.
- Field trips, special events, and guests build on children's interests.
Staff and Facilities
- In each classroom, an experienced and nurturing lead teacher and an assistant teacher provide education and care.
- All staff participate in ongoing training and professional development.
- Multiple learning and activity centers in each classroom with child-friendly computers
- Large, fenced playground
Health, Nutrition, and Screenings
- Vision, hearing, and dental screenings yearly.
- Nutritional breakfast, lunch, and snack served, following USDA Child and Adult Care Program guidelines.
- Developmental screening administered within three months of enrollment, as well as ongoing evaluations, and assessments.
- Referrals to speech, language, and hearing specialists.
Family Support Program
- On-site family support worker with a master's degree in social work.
- Monthly Parents' Circle meetings.
- Referrals provided for community resources, such as housing, employment, educational development, parenting, and other issues.
- Social skills groups and play therapy.
- Counseling and home visits provided for support and referrals for assistance.
Status and Accreditation
- Awarded a 4-star rating by the Virginia Star Quality Initiative.
- Reaccredited for a five-year term in the fall of 2015 by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), meeting or exceeding all of their standards.
- Fully licensed and inspected.
Hours and Services
- Open year-round, 6:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., MondayFriday except federal holidays and staff professional development days.
- Twice-yearly parent teacher conferences to share information on child growth, development and learning.
- Monthly Parent Circle meetings include dinner and childcare.
- Open to children ages 3 through 5 years of age (prekindergarten).
- ALIVE! celebrates diversity and does not discriminate on basis of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, or disability.
- Priority is given to parents who work full-time or are in a job training program or going to school 30 hours or more per week.
- Families must live or work in the city of Alexandria.
Registration and Fees
- Orientation for child and parents required before enrollment.
- Fees based on family income and size.
- Tuition assistance available. To qualify, parents must provide verification of income and child care subsidy application.
* * *
A Virginia Preschool Initiative Center
ALIVE! Child Development Center
2723 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22302